Administration of Medications

The California Education Code states that any student who is required to take medication prescribed by a physician during the regular school day, may be assisted by the school nurse or other designated school personnel if the district receives: (1.) a written statement from the physician detailing the method, amount and time schedules that the medication is to be taken and (2.) a written statement from the student’s parent/guardian authorizing the school district to administer the medication. (E.C. 49422, 49423)

Prescription medications must be in the original pharmacy container with the original prescription label adhered to the container. Students may carry and self-administer prescription auto-injectable epinephrine and asthma inhalers if certain requirements are met.
Medication at home: The parent/guardian of a student on a continuing medication regimen at home is required to inform the school nurse or other designated certificated school employee of the medication being taken, the current dosage and the name of the supervising physician. The information is gathered annually on the Health Information Form distributed at the beginning of each year. Notification is required to your child’s school when new medications are started at any time during the school year.


Medication at School form: Please return form, along with the medication to Student Services or School Nurse. Forms can also be obtained in the front office of Central Union High School.

\Medication Administration Authorization.doc