Friday, December 6, 2013
STUDENT LUNCH: Stop by ASB Office Windows and view the menu, since there is a variety of items.
TODAYS’ BREAKFAST: Stop by ASB Windows and view the menu, since there is a variety of items.
JV Boys Basketball @ Imperial Tourny @ Imperial. Excuse Time TBA. Leaving Time TBA.
Varsity Boys Soccer @ Central Tourny @ Central @ 10:00 am / 1:00 pm. Excuse @ 8:45 am. Leaving @ 9:00 am.
ALL SENIORS: Grad Nite contract forms are now available at the ASB Office. Space is limited and on a first come, first serve bases, ALSO the Senior Class is in need of your help! In order to have funds for yearend “senior activities”, Senior Class is having a Sonic Card fundraiser. Please stop by the ASB Office to check out the Sonic Cards fundraiser.
ATTN EVERYONE: Participate in our Toy Drive this week. Bring unwrapped toys to your 2nd Period Class. Toys will be donated to children of our community during our Purple and Gold Holiday Event at Swarthout Park on December 11th. All toys will be collected on Tuesday, December 10th during 2nd Period. The winning class will receive an amazing prize! (6, 9, 10)
AP CLUB: Healthy Snacks are ready to be picked up in room S-62. You may pick them up TODAY at 3:00 pm. The Healthy Snack Fundraising ends Friday, December 13th. (6, 9)
ATTENTION SENIORS: The financial aid application process is fast approaching, Wednesday, January 1, 2014, you need to make sure we have your social security number, we use it to send your GPA to the California State Commission, please see Mrs. Gonzales in the counseling center or Mrs. Munguia Mitchell. (6) (11, 12, 13) (18, 19, 20)
ATTENTION ALL 11th GRADERS: Do you want to know if you are ready to take college level classes in math and English? Sign up to take the EAP/Early Assessment program test at the ASB office. Deadline to sign up is Monday, December 9th by 3:00 pm. There is no charge for this test. (6, 9)
ATTN ALL: Southwest, come out to be entertained this weekend as SAVAPA Theatre is proud to present its second production of the year, a romantic comedy, titled Almost, Maine. There are three public shows on Friday (12/6) and Saturday (12/7) at 7 PM and a Sunday matinee (12/8) at 2 PM in the Jimmie Cannon Theater. Please see any theatre student for $5 presale tickets or $8 tickets are available at the door. Contact Mr. Spanos in B-2 for more information or questions. WE HOPE TO SEE YOU At THE SHOW!! REMINDERS
ATTN SHS STUDENTS: The Imperial Valley Congressional Youth Advisory Council (IVCYAC) aims to provide an organized youth perspective regarding various federal related issues to the office of Congressman Juan Vargas. The mission of the IVCYAC is to empower youth to play a meaningful role in decision-making processes and positive community change in the Imperial Valley. Applications are available in the Counseling Office. Deadline to apply is Monday, December 16th. (11, 12, 13)
ATTN ALL POWDER-PUFF PARTICIPANTS: All participants must sell 10 tickets each to earn your Powder-Puff patch. Powder Puff has been postponed for Thursday, February 27, 2014. Pre-sold tickets will be honored at the game and additional tickets will be sold at the door for $5 each. Thank you for your patience - GO EAGLES! See Ms. Fierro in D-17 for questions or comments.
ATTN STUDENTS: The Jimmy Cannon Theater here at SHS will be hiring 4 new theater technicians in the near future to work part time, after school. Applicants must meet the following requirements. 1) You must be attending SHS as a Freshman or Sophomore.
2) You must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher with no Ds or Fs in your current classes. 3) You must be able to communicate effectively in English. 4) You should be able to control any fear of heights that you may have.
The job pays $8.00 per hour and the hours are sporadic. Please call Mr. Thorp at 303-249-3128 if you are interested in applying for the positions.
ATTENTION WANT-TO-BE DRIVERS: If you are 151/2 to 18 years of age & need Behind-the-Wheel training contact Mr. Torrence to find out how. Mr.Torrence’s phone number is 760-352-7006. IMPORTANT!!! Leave your name & a return phone number. See you Behind-the-Wheel.
ATTENTION SENIORS: You have an opportunity to earn a $5,500 by writing an essay about the ways the community benefits when union members work to get politicians elected to office. Deadline to submit essay is January 31, 2014 at http://www.unionyes.org/node/1279.
1. The Imperial County Superintendent of Schools is pleased to announce the 2014 Imperial County Student Film Festival. Imperial County schools are invited to submit up to three entries per grade level, for the 5th through 12th grades, in each of the following categories:
A) Public Service Announcement (PSA) - 30 to 60 seconds
B) Short Film - Three minutes or less
C) Photo Storytelling/Animation - One to two minutes
2. The theme for this year’s competition is: Cyberbullying Prevention. Submissions are due by March 12, 2014 and winners will be announced at the Imperial County Student Film Festival on April 12, 2014. For additional information and free resources, please visit http://filmfestival.icoe.org.
3. Elks Most Valuable Student, deadline to apply is December 6 2013. Application must be downloaded at www.elks.org/enf/scholars/mvs.cfm and brought in to your counselor no later than December 5, 2013.
4. California Association of Educational Office Professionals is hosting its annual scholarships for graduating seniors interested in business careers. Due date is January 10, 2014 and application needs to be downloaded at www.caeop.org and be mailed directly to them.
5. Golden 1 Credit Union it hosting its 2014 scholarship program. Deadline to apply is January 14, 2014. Application must be completed online at www.golden1.com/scholarships
1. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation “Gates Millennium” is now open. Deadline to apply is Jan 15, Application must be submitted online at www.gmsp.org
2. Hispanic Scholarship Fund scholarships as they become available at www.hsf.net
3. United Negro Fund scholarships as they become available at www.uncf.org
4. CAC is hosting it’s annual scholarship scholarship essay. Write a 700-1000 word essay on "The Importance of Establishing and Maintaining Good Financial Credit During Your College Years" and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline to apply is January 15, 2014. For more info visit www.cacesf.org
5. Colgate-Palmolive and the Hispanic Scholarship Fund are partnering to encourage young Hispanics to MAKE the U (HAZ LA U). Applications can be downloaded at www.colgate.com/HazLaU deadline to apply is January 20, 2014.